doors are made a little differently from the walls because I wanted a surface that would
take screws well to hold the hinges and allow the handles and locks to be
fitted well. For this reason, the verticals are cut-down 2” x 4”s,
bevelled on the table saw. I also cut an 1” deep by ˝” wide groove in
the edges of the verticals to take the (narrower) MDO sheets, which I
glued in place. The groove was cut with the table saw in multiple passes.
After this, the usual MDF cross pieces were glued in place. The MDO sheets
were cut to below the window, and a short section placed across the top,
leaving the gap for the window.
glued the 1 ˝” by 3/8” beading down the “pull to open” door to
cover the gap between the doors. I added the same beading along the top of
both doors to hide the crack above the doors and will eventually need to
do this to the hinge sides as well.
“pull to open” door, which hides a telephone on the original, is a
piece of hardboard framed with VG fir, and covered with acrylic sheet. I
printed the notice using Microsoft Word. Here's a PDF
of the sign.
used small hinges to attach this to the door, and managed to find a small
handle to bolt to it.
Eventually I’ll mount something behind this door, but
for the moment it’s just blanked off. I think the BBC TARDIS "pull
to open" has hinged
at various times, so what you do behind this panel is somewhat open to