Tools   Roof
  Materials   Door Arches
  Base   The Back
  Side Walls   Phone Panel
  Doors   Dirty Windows
  Windows   Weathering

POLICE BOX

Site Map

THE ROOF

Prev Next

Having learned more about how real police boxes look I've decided that the season 18 style roof is really rather flat, so after a service life of nearly six years, I've decided to raise the roof on my box. 

Rather than alter the roof I built before, I've built a whole new roof. Here's the story of the old one, and following it is the story of the new one...

THE OLD ROOF


My Box with raised roof

The roof base is a sheet of MDO cut to 40 square. I cut a square notch in 4 pieces of 2x4 which I had trimmed to 2 by 1 by 42. I mitred the corners and joined these together with glue and screws.

I built a 6 tall by 8 square box from plywood and small pieces to support the sloping walls and the light. Two pieces of MDF glued together, with a round hole in one for the light fitting and then trimmed to 8 square made the base of the beacon. The sloping roof was made by cutting MDO to the correct shape (a trapezoid 40 at the bottom, 8 at the top with a height of 16.28), and then sloping the edges with an angled table saw cut so that they meet with a glueable surface.

The sloping edges sat on an indent (also trimmed with the table saw from a 2x4), which looks like this:

Much of the joining here is done with glue, as the roof is not really structural (unless you intend to climb on it, Adric style).

I ended up cutting a hole in the bottom of the box to fit a light to the interior of the box as well.

The beacon on the top is a jelly-jar light fitting. These are about $10-15 in the US and still used. I put a light fitting in it which is controlled through X10 so it will flash on command. For the rain hat above the light I cut an 8" square of bathroom board, and sat it on four sections of 1/2" brass rod spray-painted black. The rods have an 8" bolt going through each, which reaches down into the base. They're not actually screwed in place, but hold up very well by themselves.

THE NEW ROOF
I wanted the new roof to be taller and more police-box like, so I came up with a drawing

The diagram on the left is the current roof - the one on the right the modified form.

The construction is pretty similar to the last roof, only this time I took some construction pictures:

I used a lot of wood filler to even up the construction lines, and then used wallboard mud and sanding to finish it off. The result is a lot smoother than the previous roof, though it didn't show much even before.

So here it is painted up, before during and after:

And here are a few other angles:

Prev Next